Building Inspection and Zoning
The City of Berlin Zoning Office provides information and guidance regarding local zoning and land use laws, regulations and policies for development in the City of Berlin. The Zoning Office in conjunction with the Plan Commission oversees the site plan review process for all multifamily, commercial and industrial projects in the city, and it reviews and processes requests for variances, special use permits, rezonings, annexations, certified survey maps, plats, code amendments, and other discretionary approvals. Zoning staff provides technical support to the Board of Appeals and the Plan Commission.
ZONING & BUILDING INSPECTION OFFICE
108 N. Capron St. (second floor)
(P.O. Box 272)
Berlin, WI 54923
Community Development Director, Lindsey Kemnitz
Office Hours: Monday – Friday 7:30 am – 4:30 pm
Building Inspector, Randal Backhaus
Office Hours: Monday 8:30 am – 10:30 am
Inspection Applications & Forms
Submit application at least one week in advance of starting the project (fees are nonrefundable). Review time is approximately one week once a completed application and supplemental items are submitted.
- Building Permit (new homes and multi contractor projects)
- Simple building Permit (windows, reroof, deck, raze, fence, doors, remodel)
- Driveway Permit Application
- Plumbing Permit
- Electrical Permit
- Heating and Air Conditioning Permit
- Sign Permit Application
- New Home Flow Chart
- Inspection Request Form
- Deck Information
New Ordinances and Forms
- Live/Work Ordinance
- Animal Services Ordinance Amendment
- Fence Ordinance Amendment
- Daycare Ordinance Amendment
- Chicken Ordinance Amendment
- River Frontage Setback
- Regulations relating to private swimming pool enclosure
- Conditional Uses and Special Exceptions, the regulations of short term residential rentals, and the repeal of the A-2 and R-MH zoning district
- Vacant Building Ordinance
- Form for New Homes
- Inspection Request Form
When is a permit and inspection needed?
Inspections for the following must be made BEFORE proceeding to the next phase:
- Footings (forms in place, prior to pouring concrete).
- Foundation (drain title and stone in place, insulation if required, prior to back fill).
- Underfloor plumbing (piping installed and on test).
- Basement floor ( vapor barrier, drain tile, and sump crock in place prior to pouring concrete).
- Rough constriction, electrical, plumbing, and HVAC (work completed prior insulation).
- Electrical services.
- Insulation (insulation an vapor barrier installed, before drywall).
- Final inspection (all phases and trades completed, prior to occupancy).