Building Inspection and Zoning
The City of Berlin Zoning Office provides information and guidance regarding local zoning and land use laws, regulations and policies for development in the City of Berlin and the Extraterritorial districts of the Town of Berlin and Town of Aurora. The Zoning Office in conjunction with the Plan Commission oversees the site plan review process for all multifamily, commercial and industrial projects in the city, and it reviews and processes requests for variances, special use permits, rezonings, annexations, certified survey maps, plats, code amendments, and other discretionary approvals. Zoning staff provides technical support to the Board of Appeals and the Plan Commission.
ZONING & BUILDING INSPECTION OFFICE
108 N. Capron St. (second floor)
(P.O. Box 272)
Berlin, WI 54923
Community Development Director, Lindsey Kemnitz
Office Hours: Monday – Friday 7:30 am – 4:30 pm
Building Inspector, Randal Backhaus
Office Hours: Monday 8:30 am – 10:30 am
Inspection Forms and Requests
New Ordinances and Forms
When is a permit and inspection needed?
Inspections for the following must be made BEFORE proceeding to the next phase:
- Footings (forms in place, prior to pouring concrete).
- Foundation (drain title and stone in place, insulation if required, prior to back fill).
- Underfloor plumbing (piping installed and on test).
- Basement floor ( vapor barrier, drain tile, and sump crock in place prior to pouring concrete).
- Rough constriction, electrical, plumbing, and HVAC (work completed prior insulation).
- Electrical services.
- Insulation (insulation an vapor barrier installed, before drywall).
- Final inspection (all phases and trades completed, prior to occupancy).