Berlin Senior Citizen Center
To actively involve, enlighten, enrich, and empower the independence of older adults in our community.
142 Water Street
Berlin, WI 54923
(Just off of North Capron Street)
Senior/Rec. Programming Coordinator: Rebecca Bays
Senior/Recreation Programming Assistant: Jill Dittmann
Head Cook: Deb Mirr
Assistant Cook: Darlene Sierakowski
Chauffeurs and Meal Delivery: Al, Cindy and Dennis
Meal Delivery: Deb, Dean and Clay
Office E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hours: Monday – Friday 9:00am – Noon
CITY OF BERLIN COMMISSION ON AGING MEMBERS
The City of Berlin is looking for a citizen to fill the open seat on the Committee on Aging. If you are interested and would like more information, please contact the office at 361-5422.
Our Day Trips are available to ALL ages!
Full payment is required at the time of reservation to guarantee your seat. Trips have limited seating and are filled on a first-come basis.
Please call 920-361-5422 for more information.
We understand that plans can change and you may not be able to attend a trip for which you have registered. However, refunds can only be issued if you find someone or we can register someone from our waiting list to take your place.
ALL DAY TRIPS HAVE BEEN CANCELLED UNTIL FALL OF 2021. Thank you for your understanding.
The Berlin Senior Center sponsors question and answer sessions with speakers on a variety of topics. Below is a sample of past guest speaker topics:
- Update on Social Security
- Insurance Coverage
- Healthcare for the Eyes
- State & Local Politicians
If you have interest in a particular topic or know of a professional willing to be a guest speaker, please contact the Berlin Senior Center at 920-361-5422.
The Aging and Disability Resource Center (ADRC) will be able to help with: (call toll-free 1-877-883-5378)
- Questions on household help
- Information on Home Healthcare
- Homebound meal deliveries
- Veteran transportation needs
- Aging concerns
Where can I report suspected elder abuse?
Call the Elder Abuse Hotline 920-294-4070.
Handicap Equipment Loans
Did you know we have all different kinds of equipment for short and “long-term” loan? Stop in the office if you are interested in seeing what is available. There is no loan charge, however, we do ask for the items to be cleaned and disinfected before returning them. Just stop by and tell us your name and phone number and approximately how long you will need the item. It’s that easy to borrow equipment!
Items Available Include:
- Raised Toilet Seats
- Wheelchairs with Desk/Eating Tray
- Walkers without wheels
- Regular and Support Canes
- Bathtub and Shower Chairs
- Ankle Boot
- Rolling Walkers with Seats
- Knee Scooter
- Over Toilet Commode
Please contact the Senior Center at 920-361-5422 for availability or for information about making equipment donations.
Friends of the Berlin Senior Center (FOBSCI)
- Meets Quarterly: Join Friends for $5.00 per person per year
- Mission of the Friends:
To give full support to the Berlin Senior Center to actively
involve, enlighten, enrich, and empower the independence
of older adults in our community.
1. 2008 – Purchased an abandoned house next to Senior
Center and turned land into a parking lot
2. 2012 – Built a new addition of 1,500 sq.ft. for a
community room, shared veteran office, and storage
space to the east end of the Senior Center.
1. 2009 – Received Newsmaker of the Year
2. 2010 – Anonymous Donor and Community Involvement
Funds 2 – year challenge
3. 2011 – Received Wisconsin Community Development
4. 2012 – Alliant Energy Foundation, Inc – $1,000 for
- Current Projects
1. Acoustical Ceiling Panes
2. Dome-shaped glass paneled door for sound and privacy
3. In and Out of State overnight trips
- Donations: Are always accepted and appreciated. The Friends of the Berlin Senior Center received approval for tax exempt status 501(c)(3) from the Internal Revenue Service on September 26, 2008
Your tax deductible contributions can be mailed to:
Friends of the Berlin Senior Center
Berlin Senior Center
142 Water Street
Berlin, WI 54923
Looking for a place to rent for a family gathering, bridal or baby shower, birthday party, or any other event? The Berlin Senior Center is the place to check on. For more information call 920-361-5422.
PER COMMITTEE ON AGING – NO HALL RENTALS WILL BE ALLOWED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. Thank you for your understanding.
Every month our Center produces a newsletter to keep you up to date on what’s happening here. It includes all kinds of helpful information including upcoming trips, the month’s menu for meals, times and dates of classes and activities available for joining, as well as other helpful tidbits. Please feel free to browse this month’s INSIGHT:
Nutrition / Meals on Wheels
SENIOR NUTRITION GREEN LAKE CO. MEAL SITE
Berlin Senior Center is a Green Lake County elderly nutrition meal site program through the Older American Act.
Nutritious meals for seniors are served each weekday at noon.
CURRENTLY, DUE TO COVID-19, ONLY CARRY OUT MEALS ARE ALLOWED. PICKUP BEGINS AT 11:15AM.
Below are some important facts about our meal program:
- Please call the day before to sign up for senior meals 920-361-5422.
- All meals are cooked on-site by paid staff with the help of volunteers.
- Homebound meals are available for seniors in the Berlin area. Please call to arrange for this service through Health and Human Services by calling 920-294-4070.
- We do not cook special meals for those guests with dietary restrictions. Please contact Berlin Hospital for information about meals for people with special dietary restrictions. We do, however, have fruit dessert substitutes for our diabetic guests.
- We serve 55-60 senior guests daily.
Cost: Suggested donation of $4 over age 60
Under age 60 the cost is $18.89
Programs and Classes
A variety of programs and activities are sponsored by the Berlin Senior Center daily for those age 55 and older. Below is a list of programs that have been offered in the past. Please consult the Senior Newsletter “INSIGHT” for a complete list of current events and activities:
NOTE: SOME PROGRAMS MAY BE ON HOLD DUE TO COVID-19.
- Card parties (daily)
- Billiards (tournaments w/ Wautoma Seniors)
- Bowling (Mondays at 1 p.m. at Berlin Lanes)
- Line Dancing
- Wood Burning
- Senior Tones (Harmonica Group)
- Wood Carving
- Berlin Senior Singers
- Craft Projects
- Exercise – low impact (see calendar)
- Monthly birthday meal
- Monthly cooking program
- Senior Singers
- Senior Dining Club
- Walking Club
A variety of social activities are sponsored by the Berlin Senior Center daily for those age 55 and older. Below is a list of activities that have been offered in the past. Please consult the Senior Newsletter “INSIGHT for a complete list of current events and activities:
- Berlin Senior Singers Group
- Senior Dining Club
- Dirt Detectives (Metal Detecting Group)
- Eyes Have It (Low Vision Support Group)
- Trips – One-day Bus Trips (See Coach Trips)
- Coffee & Conversation
- Veterans Socialization Group meets every 2nd Tuesday at 12:30 p.m.
- TOPS meets every Thursday at 4:30 p.m.
- Alcoholics Anonymous for Kids: Light Stepping ACA meets every Friday at 6:00 p.m.
- Alcoholics Anonymous for Adults meets every Friday at 8:00 p.m.
- Eyes Have It (low vision group) meets every 3rd Wednesday at 9:30 a.m.
NOTE: SOME MEETING MAY BE ON HOLD DUE TO COVID-19. Please call 361-5422 for more information. Thank you for your understanding.
The Berlin Senior Center is an official AARP tax site offering tax preparation assistance during the tax season. See the February calendar.
Contact the Senior Center for volunteer opportunities to assist seniors with income tax preparation. 920-361-5422.
NOTE: Berlin Senior Center will NOT be a tax assistance location this year due to COVID-19. There are other sites in the state of Wisconsin that are available. Please see the below link for more information:
The Berlin Senior Center offers transportation services for any destination that will promote senior independent living including:
- Beauty parlor or barber
- Doctor’s visits
Below is important information about our transportation program. If you have questions, please call us at 920-361-5422.
- Transportation services are available M-F from 8:00 – 10:30am & 1:00-4:00pm.
- Transportation services are funded in part through 85.21 Specialized Transportation Grand and 5310 WisDOT Grant. Transportation services are fee-based.
- Co-Payment for in-town trips are:
- Round Trip $2.00
- Round Trip with use of ramp $10.00
- Please call for out of town costs
- Our vehicle is handicap accessible.
- We also offer medical transport to nursing homes.
- We will shop for the homebound.
- Please call as soon as possible in advance to arrange for transportation (24 hour advance notice is recommended).
- We do NOT transport medical emergencies. Please call 911 for medical emergency transportation.
The Senior Center is always looking for volunteers. Do you have some spare time? We are in need of some wonderful people with free time to give. We have indoor and outdoor projects waiting for you, whether it is volunteering at the desk, answering phones, helping keep the garden vibrant, or even presenting on a place visited! If you have a craft, hobby, or skill you’d be willing to teach, we would love that too! Come share with us.
Contact us at 920-361-5422 today!